STREET ADDRESS: 11 Second Street
YEAR BUILT: 1885
This is a two storey house of wood construction. The symmetrical two bay facade has an off center doorway and the steeply pitched hip roof is truncated. The eaves are trimmed with decorative brackets. There are tow large chimneys discreetly placed. The four large dormers have palladion windows and pedimented false gables, one faces out from each side of the roof. Several of the windows are trimmed with heavey entablitures and brackets. There is a two storey bay at the front and another above the portico. The main entrance is in an enclosed porch with windows to the sides, wooden steps lead to the double doors. The house is clad in wooden clapboards and trimmed extensively with brackets and decorative woodwork. The exterior foundation is of brick.
J. Ryerson is shown as residing here on A.F. Church's Map (1870) however, the earliest deed found for this property is dated 1871 when Ryerson sells the house to Samuel Killam for $4.000. Apparently, however, references in these deeds are to an earlier house on this lot. Lawson writes, "The George Ryerson homestead property, corner of Collins & Second Streets was purchased by Capt. John Murphy in April, 1884, for $2.000. The house was removed to the lot corner of Main & Parade Streets and the present find dwelling erected on the lot next year." In 1922 the house was purchased by the Hon. Paul L. Hatfield. Hatfield was born in Arcadia, Yarmouth County and was the son of Capt. Abraham Hatfield. He was a prominent businessman. He first entered public life as a member of the Municipal Council and later was Warden for several years. He was first elected to the House of Commons in 1921, in 1926 he retired to accept a post in the Senate.
PRESENT OWNER: Grafton Investments Ltd.
ADDRESS: P.O. Box 2375, Stn. M Halifax, N.S. B3J 3E4
ORIGINAL OWNER: John Murphy
ORIGINAL USE: Home
PRESENT USE: Offices
|HISTORY OF BUILDING|
|John Murphy||May. 1 1884||Jan. 25 1895||Shipowner||BK 500|
|Lois Annette Dane||Jan. 29 1895||Aug. 4 1922||Married Woman||CA 230|
|Paul Hatfield||Aug. 4 1922||Jan. 28 1935||Merchant Member of Parliament||DS 197|
|Sadie Hatfield||Jan. 28 1935||Feb. 22 1941||Widow||Will #2670|
|Henry S. Crosby||May 19 1941||Nov. 5 1959||Retired Insurance Agent||EQ 376|
|Vivian Rodgers||May 19 1960||Nov. 5 1961||married woman||FU 478|
|Gordon Titus||Nov. 5 1961||Dec. 18 1964||Commercial Traveller||GD 645|
|Charles Barkhouse||Dec. 18 1964||Jan. 16 1976||N/A||GM 459|
|Lillis C. Barkhouse||Nov. 3 1976||Nov. 9 1978||N/A||KP 77|
|Marjorie Oliver||Nov. 9 1978||Aug. 23 1983||N/A||LS 789|
|L.G. Trask Agency Ltd.||Aug. 23 1983||N/A||N/A||OA 131|
|Grafton Investments Ltd.||Dec. 3 1987||N/A||N/A||436/915|
COMMENTS ON HISTORICAL ASSOCIATIONS:
Captain John Murphy was born October 27, 1824. He was for many years one of Yarmouth's most successful shipmasters, and having retired from active service he built and managed several of the largest and finest ships in Yarmouth. Before his death in 1895 at the age of 71 he had become one of Yarmouth's most wealthy citizens.
Captain Murphy also built a large home (at what is now 25 Collins Street) about the time he had this home built. The second home is believed to have been built for his son Captain Charles W. Murphy.
SOURCES: Yarmouth Herald Jan. 25, 1935 (p.1) Yarmouth Past & Present, Lawson (p.565) The Yarmouth Herald (Sept. 24, 1895) Registry of Deeds (Yarmouth) Yarmouth Directories (1890)(1895) A.F. Church's Map (1870)