If you like helping people, appreciate continuous learning, and are physically fit, you may be an ideal candidate for a position as a volunteer firefighter. Fire Services of the Town of Yarmouth is dedicated to saving lives and protecting property through fire prevention, fire suppression, and public education. Your commitment is important to the success of our Fire Services as a whole.
In today’s society, many organizations can’t survive without volunteers. That's certainly true here in Yarmouth. We cannot provide a high level of service without good volunteers!
What is it like to be a volunteer firefighter?
As a volunteer firefighter, you’ll start by learning. The first step is to successfully complete our Volunteer Firefighter Recruit Training, in which you’ll learn the basic skills required to respond to emergencies. After that, you can expect an average of 25–35 hours per month of additional training, emergency responses, and meetings. You will also be expected to:
- perform firefighting duties and other related work as required
- respond to and work in all types of weather
- work in a safe manner, in accordance with your training
- participate in community events as required
- carry a pager (provided) and respond to emergencies when available
- participate in weekly training
- be conscientious and dependable
- Service to your community
- Free training
- Flexible time commitment
- Financial recognition--including an honorarium averaging $3,000 per year
- Personal reward, excitement and comradery
What qualifications do I need to be a volunteer firefighter?
Before you apply, make sure that you have the following qualifications:
- a valid driver’s license, minimum Class 5 (not a learner's permit)
- grade 12 or equivalent education
- a driver's abstract demonstrating a safe driving record
- a clean criminal record check
- Canadian citizenship or landed immigrant status
- ability to communicate in English
- normal vision and hearing
- physically and medically fit
- no phobias of confined heights or spaces
How do I apply to be a volunteer firefighter and what is the process?
If this sounds like the right fit for you, please complete the form below and we will contact you to discuss where you might fit best.
Once you’ve made a decision on what organization you’ll join, your application will be forwarded to the appropriate officer.
The Yarmouth Fire Department welcomes applications for volunteer firefighters, support services and auxiliary members. If you are interested to find out more, please fill out your contact information below.