STREET ADDRESS: 11 Collins Street
YEAR BUILT: circa 1835
Except for the fact that the main entrance is on the end wall, this house appears to be of Gothic Revival design. It is one and a half stories high and of wood construction, the symmetric two bay facade has an off center doorway and the steeply pitched gable roof has non-return eaves. There are two inset chimneys, discreetly placed. There is a large, gable roof dormer on either side of the roof. The lower floor windows are square headed and trimmed with slanted hoods and brackets while the upper floor windows are slightly rounded. A two storey bay is found on the east side, under the dormer. An ell extends to the side and an open veranda runs along the west side. The main entrance is in an enclosed porch with windows at the sides. The double doors are trimmed with side lights. The foundation is of concrete.
The earliest record found for this house is a deed of 1855. Here, George Ryerson purchased the property from Richard Patten for £ 225. Considering the price of purchase is seems likely that the house was already on the lot at that time. In 1867 Ryerson sold the house to George Durkee. Durkee, a ship broker, is shown as residing here on A.F. Church's map (1870) and also in the 1890 directory. From 1892 to 1900 the house was owned by the Nova Scotia Permanent Benefit Building Society, during part of this time Samuel Hood, a watchmaker, resided here. This house has had several uses in the past, a single family home, apartments and more recently a Bed and Breakfast and brewing supplies shop.
Situated at the intersection of two streets, this house is surrounded by narrow lawns and hedges. this home has a unique appearance and it seems likely that several alterations and additions have been made over the years.
PRESENT OWNER: Offices
ADDRESS: 11 Collins Street Yarmouth, N.S. B5A 4B1
ORIGINAL OWNER: Richard Patten
OCCUPATION: Master Mariner
ORIGINAL USE: Home
PRESENT USE: Offices
|HISTORY OF BUILDING|
|Richard Patten||N/A||Oct. 5 1855||Master Mariner||N/A|
|George Ryerson||Oct. 5 1855||Apr. 15 1867||Master Mariner||AG 734|
|George Durkee||Apr. 15 1867||May 12 1892||Merchant||AQ 476|
|N.S. Permanent Benefit Building Society & Savings||May 12 1892||Nov. 23 1900||N/A||BV 463|
|David A. Saunders||Nov. 23 1900||Aug. 12 1903||Retired Master Mariner||CH 525|
|William R. Parsons||Aug. 12 1903||Mar. 31 1906||Doctor||CM 522|
|Isaac Kaplan||Mar. 31 1906||July 22 1918||Merchant||CR 611|
|W. Roy Cann||July 22 1918||Aug. 14 1928||Customer's Clerk||DK 16|
|Yarmouth Building and Loan Society||Aug. 14 1928||Oct. 14 1930||N/A||DY 206|
|Arthur W. Gardner||Oct. 14 1930||Nov. 30 1934||Commercial Traveller||EA 750|
|Josephine Gardner||Nov. 30 1934||July 4 1935||Widow||Will #2150|
|Edith R. Topple||July 4 1935||Apr. 9 1986||Married Woman||FQ 483|
|James F. McMullen||Apr. 9 1986||Sept. 15 1989||Bank Manager||414/835|
|Eye Opener Optical Ltd.||Sept. 15 1989||June 26 1996||Opticians||463/469|
|Key Financial Services Ltd.||June 26 1996||Present||Financial advisors||543/1033|
COMMENTS ON HISTORICAL ASSOCIATIONS:
George G. Durkee was a well known ship broker and charterer of vessels. He was the son of Captain Amasa Durkee, and with his father owned several large vessels at the height of Yarmouth's shipping enterprise.
SOURCES: The Yarmouth Herald (Jan. 16, 1906) Registry of Deeds (Yarmouth) Yarmouth Directories (1890)(1895) A.F. Church Map (1870)