The Town of Yarmouth is accepting applications for a Temporary Operator within the Public Works/Water Department.
The Town of Yarmouth recognizes our employees as our greatest resource in our organization. We are committed to the investment in our people. We seek candidates with knowledge and expertise in their field as well as individuals with a collaborative approach to working with others. We offer diverse career opportunities with competitive salary and benefits packages.
All employment opportunities within the Town of Yarmouth will be posted here as they become available.
The Planner is responsible for the development and amendment of planning documents that will guide and regulate development activities in the Town of Yarmouth. He/she will communicate with members of the public, the Planning Advisory Committee and Council regarding recommendations and identify how land use policy may affect the overall direction of growth and development in the Town.
- Bachelor's Degree in Planning or a related field
- Experience as a Planner
- Well developed interpersonal and public relations skills. This includes the ability to facilitate, negotiate and resolve conflict
- Ability to interpret planning and development legislation and regulations within the Municipal Government Act
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite Software
- Experience with mapping and utilizing GIS and graphic software
- Ability to perform under high pressure in a deadline oriented environment and manage multiple projects
- Eligibility to become a member of the Canadian Institute of Planners
- Possess a valid driver's license
- Prepare and present reports and recommendations for CAO, Council, Planning Advisory Committee and other committees on a wide range of planning and development matters.
- Negotiate the terms of development agreements and site plan applications with prospective developers and prepare draft agreements for discussion and consideration by the Planning Advisory Committee and Council.
- Manage the processing and administration of planning applications, including development agreements, and amendments to the Municipal Planning Strategy, Land Use By-Law, and Subdivision By-Law. This includes coordinating the public participation programs, organizing public information meetings, public hearings, etc.
- Ensures planning documents are regularly updated and kept current.
- Undertake and coordinate special research projects on planning and development matters/issues.
- Address public, realtor, developer, and Council inquiries regarding planning and development issues and provide assistance as necessary. This position also deals with escalating issues regarding planning activities with members of the public and developers.
- Provide assistance to other Departments in relation to by-law or policy interpretations, various projects and policy initiatives.
- Review policies and comments on provincial consultation documents pertaining to planning related issues.
- Prepare Request for Proposals pertaining to planning activities.
- Attend seminars, conferences, course and training sessions which relate to planning and development activities.
- Work with the management team on issues that cross technical or departmental boundaries.
- Provide key messages for initiatives of the Department, to be utilized by the Communications Coordinator and the Mayor.
- Perform other related duties as requested by the CAO.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however. only those selected for an interview will be contacted.