What We Believe
The Town of Yarmouth works to ensure its programs, services, and facilities are barrier-free and shows leadership by supporting the goal of becoming an accessible province by 2030 under the Accessibility Act of 2017.
Accessibility Action Plan
In January of 2021, the Town of Yarmouth created an Accessibility Advisory Committee (AAC) in response to Nova Scotia’s 2017 Accessibility Act. The act requires public sector bodies to develop accessibility action plans that will help make Nova Scotia an accessible province by 2030. In the spring of 2022, the AAC released the town’s first-ever Accessibility Action Plan.
Working closely with Town of Yarmouth staff, the committee built the plan to identify accessibility barriers the public face in 5 key areas:
- When using municipal buildings or public spaces (the “built environment”). This means making public buildings, streets, sidewalks, and shared spaces accessible to all.
- When accessing goods and services. This ensures that people with disabilities have equitable access to goods and services they need.
- When receiving communication and information so that all people can receive, understand, and share the information they need.
- When using public transportation - making it easier for everyone to get where they need to go.
- When applying for employment. This is to ensure workplaces are accessible, and supporting people with disabilities in finding meaningful employment.
The 25-page action plan outlines achievements made to date in each of these areas, and also points to the barriers found within each area. Each section of the plan also lays out actions that will be taken to remove the barriers over time, and establishes clear policies and timelines to follow moving forward.
Learn More About the Accessibility Advisory Committee
The committee is made up of members of the community who offer broad knowledge and firsthand experience on the subject of accessibility. It also includes two appointed elected officials and Town of Yarmouth staff members. You can learn more about each member of the committee by visiting the committee bio page here: https://www.townofyarmouth.ca/accessibility-advisory-committee-members.html
Also, you can find key committee documents and meeting videos at the Get Involved page here: https://getinvolvedyarmouth.ca/accessibility-planning
Return Often for Updates
This page is under development. With the accessibility action plan in its early stages, we are working hard to remove barriers and make our programs, services, and facilities accessible and inclusive. As our work unfolds, we will add new content and information to this page, and provide updates on our social media channels. Please return often for updates!
Contact Us About Accessibility