Heritage property registration is a form of protection for our built heritage, which limits the changes which can be made to the exterior of a building but places no restrictions on the interior of the building. It also allows for a delay period of one year before a building can be demolished or substantially altered, to allow for better alternatives to be explored.
By applying for heritage property status, you'll be preserving your property for future generations and be recognized with a special plaque that signals your home's role in our shared cultural heritage. Here's a list of all currently registered properties.
To be eligible for Municipal Heritage Property registration, a building, site, or monument must first qualify by meeting one or more of the following criteria:
- associated with one or more persons of local significance
- associated with groups, organizations or institutions of local significance
- associated with a theme or event in local history or is typical of an era
- provides an example of a particular architectural style or building technique
- associated with a notable architect, master builder, or engineer
- an outstanding landmark fundamentally inseparable from the public's perception of Yarmouth's heritage
While any building regardless of age can be considered for registration, sites whose construction predates 1914 (including buildings, monuments, or burial grounds) are eligible. However, any building, regardless of its age, can be considered for registration. Note that a property may be considered worthy of registration even though it does not meet the above selection criteria.
The Registration Process
Registration is overseen by the Heritage Advisory Committee, which:
- Receives applications for registration
- Oversees the necessary research
- Makes recommendations to Town Council
The Town of Yarmouth has a Heritage Incentive Program, in which municipally registered Heritage Properties located within the Town of Yarmouth are eligible for matched financial support for exterior conservation work! This is an annual program in which owners of such properties may apply for 50% cost sharing support from the Town to aide in exterior renovations to their property, to an annual maximum of $2,000. Learn more.
For more information about heritage property registration, please contact the Heritage Coordinator at:
400 Main St.
Yarmouth, NS B5A 1G2
Phone: (902) 742-2521
|Heritage Incentive Program||Letter to Heritage Property Owners||Process and Timeline|