The Town of Yarmouth is seeking applications for a Junior Building Official to assist our Senior Building Official with the administration of the Nova Scotia Building Code, Building By-law, the Minimum Housing Standards By-law, and Municipal Government Act provisions related to dangerous and unsightly premises.
As a member of the Town of Yarmouth team, you will be mentored by our Senior Building Official to perform a variety of tasks. Outlined below are some of those key responsibilities:
- Administer the Nova Scotia Building Code Act and Regulations and the Municipal government Act provisions related to dangerous and unsightly premises.
- Receive and review building, occupancy and demolition permit applications and review plans.
- Issue building, occupancy and demolition permits.
- Undertake inspections to ensure compliance.
- Respond to public inquiries.
- Enforce By-laws, as directed.
Education and Experience
- Qualified Level 1 Building Official or Building Official courses that meet the level 1 requirements with the willingness to complete level 1 Qualification.
- Minimum of five (5) years commercial and/or residential construction building experience.
- Member of the Building Officials Association of Nova Scotia (NSBOA) or eligible for membership. (Once qualified, officials employed with the Municipality will be expected to achieve Level 1 building official qualification within 3 years and Level 2 within 5 years).
- Consideration will be given to those applicants with 2 years of relevant post secondard or red seal.
Join our Team!
- Permanent Full-time (35 hours per week)
- Optional compressed work week (as per Town policy)
- Competitive health benefits
- Defined benefit pension plan - Nova Scotia Public Service Superannuation Pension Plan
- Satisfactory proof of vaccination against COVID-19 is required, in accordance with Town policy
This vacancy will remain advertised until a suitable applicant is selected.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.