The Town of Yarmouth is accepting applications for a Group II Operator within the Public Works/Water Department.
The individual must be able to perform a variety of tasks from truck driver to labor work.
Under the supervision of the Transportation and Utilities Supervisors, the successful candidate will be required to maintain the water, sanitary sewer, and storm sewer systems, as well as, performing street maintenance within the Town of Yarmouth.
- Operate and maintain equipment
- Conduct various preventative maintenance activities
- Inspect system for leaks
- Flushing of water mains
- Water distribution repairs and replacements
- Install service taps and connections
- Sewer repair and replacement
- Seasonal plowing and salting
- Performs manual labor tasks as required
- Demonstrated commitment to safety in the performance of all duties and tasks
- Must be able to lift up to 40lbs
- Closing and opening of water main valves utilizing upper body strength
- Shoveling and picking
- Operating heavy equipment for long hours
- Assist in changing chains/blades
- Weld chains
- Prying and lifting manhole covers
- Climbing in and out of excavations/trenches
- Using small tools and equipment (cut-off saw, compactor, etc.)
The preferred applicant will have a high school completion certificate and an additional 2 years combined training and/or practical experience in a related field of work.
The individual will have demonstrated mechanical ability and experience in the operation of heavy equipment. As a condition of employment applicants must possess a valid Nova Scotia Class 3 driver's license with air brake endorsement. Training in WHMIS, First Aid, and Confined Space Entry as well as, training as a heavy equipment operator would be considered an asset.
Salary and benefits as per collective agreement with CUPE 2530.
Application's must be received by October 27th, 2021.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.