Background – Historical Significance
Participation In The
Façade Improvement Program Guideline Process
To review or download the
Façade Improvement Program Details
The Town of Yarmouth offers a
The facade improvement program
- High-quality storefront and
- High quality signage.
- Preservation and enhancement of upper-storey facades.
Goals of the
A Downtown Transformation
- Property owners and merchants/business owners are eligible to receive grants of up to $5,000 per civic address or storefront.
- Buildings on corner lots, where
façadeimprovements are proposedon both frontages, are still only eligible for grants of up to $5,000.
- The total value of any grant may not exceed 50
per centof the total cost of eligible works.
- No municipal street address or storefront shall receive more than
a total of$5,000 under this program.
- Grants are subject to the availability of funding.
Grants are issuedupon the completion of the proposed work.
- Only those properties
locatedwithin the Downtown Facade Improvement Area pdf (Facade Map Update, 2018) (9.52 MB) with commercial uses are eligible.
- Only those applications which satisfy the town's downtown urban design standards (see here) and the town’s downtown
façadeguidelines will be eligible to receive grants.
- All applications must be capable of satisfying the town's sign bylaw (See here part 6 of land use
by-law) and the National Building Code (see here).
- If the total value of all grants applied for exceeds the amount of funding available,
grantwill be approved on a first come first basis.
- Repainting, cleaning or re-facing of
- Repair or restoration of
façademasonry, brickwork or wood.
- Replacement, repair or restoration of cornices, eaves, parapets and other architectural features.
- Replacement or repair of windows as part of the overall
- Entranceway modifications that improve the appearance and/or access to the commercial units.
- Redesign and reconstruction of the
- Installation of appropriate new signage or improvements to existing signage.
- Installation or repair of canopies and awnings.
- Installation or repair of exterior lighting.
- Restoration of historic features.
We highly recommended you meet with us for a pre-application meeting prior to submitting any application, to ensure your application meets our urban-design policies and the
To arrange a meeting, please contact Natalie Smith, Economic Development, at 902-742-1505. All successful grant applications will be subject to the terms and conditions as they relate to the
Façade Program Resources:
Facade Program Presentations: